Climate Change is Real: How Can You Help?
“Climate change is real. It is happening right now. It’s the most urgent threat facing our entire species and we need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
Do you remember back in February when Leonardo DiCaprio used his Oscar speech to speak out on climate change? It was utterly cool – and made us feel so proud – but it wasn’t the first time we’d heard about this global issue. His inspiring speech left us nodding yes, but wondering what can we do to help?
Turns out, you can now help track climate change from your phone using NASA’s latest app called, “I See Change.” NASA scientists developed this app in the hopes to pool data from people all over the world, data that will give them real-time information about what is happening on the planet. Pretty cool right?
iSeeChange is empowering communities to pay close attention to how weather and climate affect their environment, to better understand how climate change is impacting their daily lives. So, if you are perceptive about the environment around you and passionate about climate change, you may just be the kind of community scientist that NASA is looking for.
What are some other ways you can help with climate change?
If you’re not very tech-savvy, not to worry. Below is a list of 10 things you can do to help reduce climate change that don’t involve using your phone:
- 1. Plant native trees and shrubs around your home.
- 2. Recycle your paper, cardboard, glass, metal, and electronics.
- 3. Use public transportation, walk or bike instead of using your car, whenever you can.
- 4. Compost food and yard waste.
- 5. Reduce water waste by taking shorter showers.
- 6. Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs such as LEDs.
- 7. Buy products and food with reusable or recyclable packaging.
- 8. Use reusable shopping and grocery bags instead of plastic bags.
- 9. Seal and insulate your home. Install energy-efficient showerheads.
- 10. Turn off appliances at night or when you’re not using them.
Whether you team up with NASA to track climate change on your phone or pick one of the tips from our list above, there are infinite ways you can join in on the fight against climate change.
Do you have any tips to add? Are there any things you’re doing to help reduce climate change? If so, we’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.